[AT] Old test for a bad valve?

Mike Sloane msloane at att.net
Wed Sep 1 15:02:45 PDT 2004

The only time you would see smoke coming out the crankcase breather
(which is also the oil filler in many tractors) from a valve problem
would be if the guides were badly worn. Normally, there isn't really any
path from the valves to the crankcase. (Smoke coming out the breather is
usually caused by worn or stuck rings.) If you have a bad exhaust valve
or burned seat, when that piston sucks fuel mixture in from the intake
manifold, it will also suck some air in from the exhaust manifold. So
you will see the piece of paper sucked in towards the exhaust pipe once
out of three "pops". Unfortunately, that won't tell you which valve is
the problem, but you can usually pull the plug wires one at a time to
see which one doesn't result in the engine slowing down (as much). Of
course the best test is either a compression or leak-down test.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take.
-Adlai Stevenson, statesman (1900-1965)