[Farmall] Re: Now it's me that's dreaming (now camping)

Karl Olmstead olmstead at ridgenet.net
Thu Sep 30 18:59:21 PDT 2004

I took the Farmall 350 to a little local celebration (The city of Inyokern's
95 birthday) last weekend, and had a chance to admire what struck me as very
nearly the ultimate tractor show rig.  I don't know if you see a lot of them
back east, but the hot ticket out here in the desert is what they call 'toy
haulers'.  It's a long travel trailer with the front dedicated to the usual
RV stuff like beds, bathroom and kitchen, and the rear eight or ten or
twelve feet partitioned off for toys like dirt bikes or ATVs.

This feller had a nice restored Farmall Cub which fit easily in the aft
section of the trailer, a Craftsman toolbox fastened to one wall and a small
work bench on another wall.  Looked like a fun way to live to me; the
tractor can be stored in a secure, dust-free place at night or on the road,
and you have a warm, dry, air-conditioned place to drink beer up front.

Of course, the whole thing including Dodge diesel dually probably set him
back $75K, but it costs nothing to dream...

On the other hand, I drove the Farmall 350 to the show, with a little beer
cooler bungie corded to the 3-pt. disc.  That's more my style; cheap tractor
and cheap beer.

By the way, Mike; I agree.  $1900 for what was offered seems reasonable.
People need to learn to use the reserve to protect themselves.  High
starting bids scare people.

-karl