[AJD] John Deere Saves the Day!!!

greg at theoldtractorcompany.com greg at theoldtractorcompany.com
Tue Sep 28 18:05:16 PDT 2004

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!
Nice one! Bet that blue boy wishes he had weighted his tractor up. Besides being upstaged by a Deere, it was a VINTAGE Deere to boot!

-Hours to restore the tractor-500+
-Money spent buying parts and refurbishing tractor-$5500
-Look on the New Holland dealer's face as his new tractor is whupped by a classic Deere- PRICELESS!!!!

hahahaha, great
Greg

Greg Stephen
The Old Tractor Company
Stephen Equipment Company
Box 709
7460 E Hiway 86
Franktown, CO 80116
303-663-5246
303-688-4170 fax

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:24:13 -0500, "Duane Ledford" <dledford at classicnet.net> wrote:

> [...]
>
> The next day, decided to try it again. The last class to pull that day was the 5000# open class. No speed limit, etc. They had weighted the sled down pretty good in order to keep these "hotrods" from going on out the back fence. They had succeeded in doing so except for three tractors.
>
> Now, for the good part. Our local New Holland dealer supplies both the pull back tractor as well as the blade tractor for these events. Good advertisement, or so he thought. I had noticed Saturday night that as they added more weight to the sled, that shiney blue New Holland tractor would have more and more trouble gaining traction in order to pull the sled back to the starting point. On Sunday, the sled was weighted even more for these open class tractors, and it was quite an effort for that fancy new tractor to do its job. It would spin and throw about as much dust as those "hotrods", even with the rear end locked up.
>
> On the last pull before the pull-off, that brand new 70 horse tractor just couldn't do it. Just sat there and spun the tires. After much head scratching, they decided to hook the blade tractor to the front of the larger one and pull in tandem. That was a scary sight! Both tractors spinning their tires, slowly going forward. If the larger tractor would have happened to have gotten traction, it would have been over the top of the blade tractor in an instant. I was sitting close to the starting line waiting for my turn to pull. When they finally got the sled back into position, I said that they should put a John Deere on there and show them how it is supposed to be done.
>
> After they put even more weight on the sled for the pull-off, the first tractor went flying down the track in a cloud of dust, the pull back tractor right behind. The next thing I know, someone is running up to me saying " get down there and pull the sled back!" That shiney blue tractor couldn't even budge the sled. Oh boy, I thought. Hope I didn't just put my foot in my mouth! I got down there and finally got backed straight to the sled. (The Armstrong power steering was giving me some trouble) Got hooked on. Put her in first, opened the throttle a little, and slowly engaged the clutch. The moment of truth had arrived. She chug-chugged like nothing was behind her. Gave her full throttle and away down the track we went. Applause from the crowd, and a few not so kind words about the pretty blue tractor. Got to pull the sled four times that day. Three going one way, and once the other way. Didn't pull as far as Saturday night, but there was a whole lot more weight on the sle!
d. Was within about 10 feet of where the "hotrod" tractors made it.