[AT] Digital camera batteries

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Tue Sep 28 07:32:14 PDT 2004

That sounds like a definite possibility, Cecil.  Unfortunately, the
cameras I had trouble with had no integral flash.  But for me, it's all
ancient history.  I loaded up all my film camera equipment early this
spring and headed to KEH in Atlanta with it.  It filled the Jeep to
mid-window level from the driver's seat to the tailgate.  I sold it all
to them.  They only gave me 25 cents on the dollar for it, but since I
had purchased most of it for 10 cents on the dollar, I didn't do too
badly.  :-)

I now own only one still camera, a Sony DSC-F717.  Between that and the
manipulations I can do in Adobe Photo Shop Elements (including the Photo
Merge command), I find that I can replicate all the things that I used
to have a whole line of special lenses for -- including perspective
correction on architectural subjects and fish-eye lens (super
wide-angle) stuff.

We're headed to Poland for our son's wedding next week, and I'm
currently debating whether or not to bother taking the digital video
camera along with us.  Even though the visual resolution of the digital
video is better than the video I get from the 717, the bottom line is
that all the video footage will be converted to VHS (because that's what
the family members who won't be in attendance have the capability of
using) and the 717 handles that resolution with no problem.  From a
practical standpoint, I'll be happier only having to carry and operate a
single camera, and I know from past experience that the video footage
will only be viewed once but the still shots will be looked at again and
again.  Both cameras use the same Li-ion battery, so I'll carry along
the batteries regardless.  Each one yields better than six hours of
camera time, so with three batteries I'll be able to leave the camera on
literally all day without running out of juice.  The Sony turns
everything off when it powers down.  Batteries can set in it for weeks
with no appreciable degradation.  I don't really know how long the
batteries will set because I use it often enough that I haven't had an
occasion to test it.

Larry