[AT] Multimeters--recomendation?

Billy Hood aggie1967 at msn.com
Mon Sep 27 07:30:44 PDT 2004

Meters are somewhat like tractor brands--everyone has their own opinion and you are not going to change them.  I use meters for work, for play, and hobbies and they all have their places

To start off with I have a Simpson 360 and Amprobe amp meter that I have carried for well over 30 years.  The Simpson is for the shop and when I need accurate readings on small components.  The Amprobe rides in the truck toolbox all the time with a Greenlee digital VOM.  I really like the Greenlee's as they are encased in rubber and have self storing leads--I bought mine at electrical supply house, but Lowe's and HD sell them also.  The Greenlee will take a lot of abuse thrown around in the truck and out on a building site.  I keep a couple of cheap Chinese digital VOM's in each vehicle and in the camper.  I have one wired with custom leads for voltage readings in the camper (-20 ac and 12 dc).  I also have a Fluke that has all the bells and whistles that I leave in shop--id does inductive DC current measurements and is great as Spencer suggested.  I also have a high dollar megaohm meter, use primarily in water well service.  The cheap meters, either analog, digital or one of each will do most of our old iron testing.  I use an ammeters more than most do, but they are available in offshore versions too.

All said, I still like analog for capacitor testing and some troubleshooting--guess it is still hard to teach an old dog new tricks.  Get the meter that meets your needs and strikes your fancy.  Remember, he who dies with the most tools, wins.

Bear

BTW, my Simpson was going to be thrown away because the bakelite case  was cracked from being dropped from a bench.  A little glue and it is still going 38 years later--it has been calibrated a couple of times because I could get it done free.