[AT] Borden Threshing Bee - long...

Grant Weir grantweird at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 26 08:47:38 PDT 2004

Good morning all!  (or afternoon is my ISP is being lazy :-)

   Some of you may remember that several years ago I aquired a 1927 Red
River Special threshing machine.  It was discovered on an old farm site when
a local Cat operator was pushing over some old buildings and found that the
one shed did not want to fall.  Inside the building was a threshing machine
(the one I now have) along with a Massey-Harris #21 self-propelled combine
from aprox 1940.  Both of these machines had always been shedded and were
pretty much in operating condition but I could only find room for the
seperator, so the old combine went out to the junk pile.  That was hard for
me to watch but I guess you can't save everything....

   Anyway, yesterday I drifted on out to a small, local threshing event and
what should be sitting there ready to cut wheat?  That's right - the old
Massey!  I damn near cryed.  It was so nice to see that someone had fixed it
up enough to cut wheat again.  The only new things on it were a couple of
belts and new wooden reel bats.  Watching (and hearing) that thing going
over the field was something that few will ever experience and I felt truly
fortunate to have lived it.  I guess it that sounds kind of weird but I was
sure thrilled.

   The show is a small local deal with mostly the same equipment each year
but it's great to just get out and see old pals and such.  I like this event
as it's the only one I know of where they thresh with two seperators at the
same time and keep them both going for at least two hours.  It's much nicer
to watch threshing for more than the usual 15 minutes or so.  :-)  Lot's or
horses out too.  I'm not much of a horse fellow, but you've got to have them
at a threshing event.

   Tractors attending were:  1927 Case 18-32, 1938 Case L, a nice little
"barn-fresh" John Deere AR, a Case S, a Field Marshal, a Farmall M, and a
McCormick-Deering WD-9.  Not many, but all running and in use doing
something.  Everything from chopping straw and sawing cordwood, to rolling
oats and pumping water.

    Sorry - not pictures this time.  Got to get another camera!

Grant Weir
Saskatoon, SK.
Canada

Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special
stationery, fonts and colors.
first two months FREE*.