[Steam-engine] relief valves

Ken Majeski fuller_johnson1 at msn.com
Sun Sep 19 22:26:03 PDT 2004

Hi Bruce: When I bought mine I got one in 1986 and the other in 1994. I
specified nothing as far as blowdown is concerened. On is set for 140 and
the other for 145. They both blowdown about 5 or 6 Psi and close with a
Foomp and Do Not leak. Yes, they do go off without warning but I can operate
within a  couple pounds of set pressure without a problem. Yes, I have heard
of people that have had problems with them and claim they were never any
good but it hasn't happened to me. When you can have a valve on an engine
for 18 years without trouble or having it reset I just don't see a
problem... For what they cost and what labor is worth I would just replace
them if I had trouble. The Other Ken...

Ken Majeski, Ellsworth Wis. Case Steam Engine, Minneapolis Steam Engine,
Rumely Oilpulls H, F, & R. Website, Http://www.pressenter.com/~kmajeski/