[AT] Re: AC magneto woes

Kent Fedor casesctractor at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 19 21:22:27 PDT 2004

Joe,
I personally have had that problem several times. I had a Fairbanks FMJ magneto on my Allis B before the thugs destroyed it, and I had the gear strip out once. Then that same magneto lived a second life on my redone case SC, and while I was raking hay last year the tractor started running bad then, then soon not at all.

I think the cause of the stripped fiber gear is too much endplay on the distributer shaft it fits onto thats in the plastic cap. Once endplay becomes too much the fiber gear is allowed to rub on the point spring on the magneto. After you get a new gear, be sure to cut some thin washers and put them on the dristuber rotor side of the shaft, to eliminate end play and thus quick gear disengration. I've messed with ALOT of magnetos, so I think I'm right. Joe: if you need a gear I probally have one.
Kent Fedor