[Steam-engine] Wachs Engine

James Mackessy jmackess at twcny.rr.com
Sun Sep 19 07:44:36 PDT 2004

Hi Rick;
     Nice find! Yes, that's a lap seam boiler. I don't know how the
inspectors in your
neck of the woods feel about them, but in New York they are trying to
discourage
the use of them, even hobby use. The cracked flywheel will be a bit of a
challenge,
but I've seen others worse than that repaired, albeit on a slower turning
engine. I
don't know much about Wachs engines, but would be interested to know if they
used
a balanced valve as opposed to a plain slide valve. Is it loose, and what
bore and stroke
do you figure?
Best Regards;
Jim Mackessy