[AT] OT Majordomo vs Mailman etc

Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sat Sep 18 05:46:37 PDT 2004

         This probably isn't an answer that most programmers would favor
but I own over a dozen email list on Yahoo Groups and find it generally
very satisfactory. I also  find it to be completely free...   :-)   Sure it
is ad supported but then so is the local paper, radio and TV.  I don't have
to keep a server running or worry about down time. One list I have is one
for just our 4 grown kids and ourselves. It is a very handy tool for
keeping everybody up to date on what is going on at any time. The rest are
speciality groups mostly. One is well over twice the size of this list.
Another is about the same size but talks a lot more. It had over 2,000
messages in July. There have been very few problems from Yahoo and the
service is better now than a few years ago. Most of the time messages are
received by most members within a couple of minutes. Since I have set the
posting option to monitor the first message of each new member spam on a
list simply is not a problem. Yahoo has also taken steps that stopped
electronic sign-ups.
         Works for me... I don't even have to check the grounds...  ;-)

"farmer"

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA
robinson at svs.net