[Ford-ferguson] 2n won't run

Chris Britton c.britton at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 16 04:24:37 PDT 2004

>From: Mike Sloane <msloane at att.net>
>Subject: Re: [Ford-ferguson] More on 2N won't start
> But my
>experience with engines of all kinds tell me that the problem isn't
>valves: if you have low compression in one cylinder, and, after putting
>an ounce or two of oil in the cylinder, the pressure jumps up

I agree.. If adding oil to a low comp cyl raises the comp.. it is generally
not valves.

Any chance the rings are simply stuck in the groves?  If so, putting some
MMO down the cyl may helf free them up if you are looking to put off an
overhaul.  Some people have used vinegar i've heard... Never tried that
myself though..

>the bad cylinder was open (it was stuck open), and moisture caused the
>rings to "freeze" to the piston. In any case, there was a considerable

A good indication that the rings may be froze to the piston as they were
froze to the liner..

> oil out and replace. I have a 8n I have been using for years, it starts
out
> with 20 pounds of oil pressure then after a few minutes it drops to zero.
> It's been like that for years, runs fine. I suspect that the oil line to
the
> pressure gauge maybe somewhat plugged, I am sure it really has suffecent
> pressure or it would have gone South by now.

To the other poster.  That oil pressure line is 'T' 'd off your partial flow
oil canister line.  If it is plugged.. you also aren't getting filtering
done.. nor is your govenor getting oiled, as that is the oil return.  More
likely the old gauge is a couple pounds inacurate, and you simply only have
a few psi at hot idle.. but as we know.. just about any positive psi at hot
idle is ok for these engines, as long as the oil pressue at hot throttle is
in the mid single digits or better... like 6 psi or higher at throttle..

>OK for these old long stroke engines, but If I have to go to the trouble
>of dropping the pan, I might as well check out the pump and bearing
>clearances while I am there.

Deffinately the right thing to do.

Soundguy