[Steam-engine] relief valves

Best, Dianne dbest at hydro.mb.ca
Thu Sep 16 05:09:20 PDT 2004

When I was growing up among engineers & engines, it was considered a
matter of professional pride to NEVER have the safety lift
unintentionally. It was excusable to blow off steam if the separator
suddenly threw a belt to the saw mill broke, but a good engineer with a
good engine didn't always lift the safety even under those unexpected
circumstances.

Many engines I see now-a-days don't have the ash pan tightly fitted and
the draft doors are a mess, so it is almost impossible to completely
kill the draft. It's a shame because draft control should be yet another
tool in the fireman's tool box.

JMHO

Dianne