[AT] How to test a fuel gauge/Sender??--followup

Bill Boyd billstractors at verizon.net
Wed Sep 15 20:59:02 PDT 2004

Hi John,
Actually they are about as simple as you can get.
The important thing is to calibrate the sender to the tank when you replace it.
I have a 1972 MF 165. The fuel gage didn't work when I bought it. I checked
the sender with an ohm meter and found it open.
I went to the Massey dealer and they sold me a one size fits all sender.
The tank was still on the tractor and full of fuel.
I hooked up the sender before I mounted it to check the operation of the
gage. It appeared to work ok.
A year or two later I was shredding and I notice the gage was below half
full. I thought when it gets down to one quarter I will
go to the house and refuel. Then I noticed the needle wasn't bouncing as
much as before. I realized I was almost out of fuel.
I made it to the edge of the field before it died. After I walked home and
came back with the fuel can I had to bleed the fuel system, pump, and
injectors before it would start . I wonder why they put the manual pump on
the opposite side from the  injector pump. You either need a string or very
long arms to work it.

FYI on my fuel gage it is marked 12V and 30 to 240 ohms.

Bill in N.E. TX