[Steam-engine] relief valves

CopperheadMarine at aol.com CopperheadMarine at aol.com
Wed Sep 15 17:03:47 PDT 2004

David

  I think some operators, or should I say non operators as some of us  like
to call them. Either like to hear the relief, like to draw attention to
themselves or just can't plan ahead and get "behind the boiler." I have  personally
witnessed an engine on a saw mill having its firebox stuffed with  wood as the
relief was popping, the mill had just shut down and it would be 20  minutes
until it was to run again. It drove me up the wall but what can you say.  If it
ain't your show people get ticked if you try to give advice. I go to a big
threshers reunion that shall remain nameless, it has a good practice. To
operate  an engine at the show that lasts a week you must attend our steam school
and  work with an experienced engineer for a year or so at the show. Learning
and  becoming familiar with operation and safety. Then when the person working
with  you feels good about it you are eased out on your own. Weather it is your
engine  or one of the shows. We have to see that you are safe if you want to
boil  water!
  If a safety goes of once in a while it is OK as long as it is not
habitual. In fact I heard the Locomotive pop this year for my first time...What  a
racket it makes.

Chas F