[Ford-ferguson] More on 2N won't start

Dave Mayfield w9wrl at revealed.net
Wed Sep 15 05:13:17 PDT 2004

Mike, Just my opinouin mind you but, 70psi maybe low by the book, but it's
not all that bad. The main thing is that the pressure is equal across all
cyclinders. I would first adjust the vavles and then see how it go's. I
would bet the valves are dirty, pitted and so on. I would pull the head and
look at the vavles, pull them out "easy" and clean and lap them, then adjust
properly.

The oil pressure is other matter, you might try changing the oil, but put in
30% percent diesel, then let it run a while to clean things out. Drop that
oil out and replace. I have a 8n I have been using for years, it starts out
with 20 pounds of oil pressure then after a few minutes it drops to zero.
It's been like that for years, runs fine. I suspect that the oil line to the
pressure gauge maybe somewhat plugged, I am sure it really has suffecent
pressure or it would have gone South by now.