[AJD] JD A Block and Head combinations

Chris C jdnutinwa at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 14 20:31:17 PDT 2004

Ok,  Let's see if can get this out without being too
confusing.

   I have two JD A's I am tinkering with.   The one is
sn 555752,  a Slant Dash A..  Given the size of the
hole in the head,  I am assuming that the block is
bad,  so I bought a block and head combination on Ebay
here the past day or so.   The block is an A2324R,
and the head is an A4226R.  The parts book shows that
these should not go together,  I questions the seller
at great length over the phone and the swear that they
came from the same tractor..

   The second A is S/N 607821.   Is shows that is
should take an A3367R block and A4226R head.    This
tractor has an external crack in the block,  and I can
see water dripping back through the oil return
passages in the bottom of the block in the crankcase,
 so I assume that head is bad.

  So by the parts book,  I have a block for the early
tractor and a head for the later one.   I will assume
that since the A2324R block and A4226R Head fit on the
sellers tractor they will go on the 46 A I have.  But,
 can I put them both on the 48?   That tractor runs
now,  but adds water to the oil at an unacceptable
rate,  the slant dash is much,  much further from
running,  so I would like to get the 48 fixed up first
if these parts will do it for me.  Either way,  I can
use them.

                   Chris