[AT] Kreme kit Old gas residue

Robert L. Holtzer rholtzer at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 14 16:47:27 PDT 2004

My Farmall H quit aburptly while being unloaded at an EDGETA meet.  The
tank outlet/valve inlet was plugged with fine sediment in spite of having
cleaned the tank reasonably well.  Since that time I have installed a
strainer at the tank outlet in my various tractors.  A short piece of 3/8
copper tubing is cut to fit into the fuel valve -- may need to drill out
the valve a bit- so that it will project into the fuel tank.  A fine brass
screen is wrapped around the tubing with a bit of overlap, wired in place,
then the tip is crimped and  the tip, screen overlap, wire, and tubing are
all soldered, keeping as much screen solder-free as possible.  The screen
can be 1 - 2 inches long.  The screen/tube is then pushed into the valve
body -- epoxy if necessary.  This arrangement reduces the amount of fuel
available slightly.  However, the screen keeps any but the finest material
out of the valve, sediment bowl, and carburetor.  The sloshing of fuel in
the tank keeps the screen free of any residual contaminants.  The idea is
not original -- it is patterned after some of the filters usually found in
the carburetor inlet of some tractors.

Bob Holtzer