[AT] RE: Ford Diesel in AC machine

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 14 10:45:53 PDT 2004

>Message: 1
>Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 06:37:50 -0600
>From: "JParks" <jkparks at flash.net>
>Subject: [AT] Ford Diesel in AC machine
>To: "Antique tractor email discussion group"
>	<at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
>
>I've recently acquired a little  AC 540 wheel loader equipped w/ a 4 cyl
>Ford diesel engine, model 174.  It has the injectors mounted under the
>rocker arm cover  (apparently, I'm told, there was another style that had
>external injectors)  We just got the machine in and tinkered with it a bit,
>but have not been able to get it to fire and run.
>
>We are getting fuel to all the injectors (but what they do with it is
>unknown!) and getting some smoke when cranking.  Is there a way to test
>compression on these engines!?
>
>Thanks for any hints or suggestions.  Everything about the machine is
>pretty
>clean and straight, and would be worth keeping together, but not if the
>engine is worn out.  I am totally asea with a Ford!
>
>John Parks
>Boise ID
Sounds like the injectors are working.  The "smoke" that you see is probably
unburnt fuel vapor coming from the exhaust.  It sounds like you don't have
enough heat for combustion.  Does this engine have glow plugs? Do they work?
  How fast is the engine cranking?  Some diesels really need to spin over
fast to get the compression they need to start.  We had a 6.2L GM that
seemed to be turning over fine (about the same speed as a gasser) but
wouldn't fire.  Turned out the starter was bad.  New starter turned twice as
fast and engine started right up.  Diesels need high compression to generate
the heat needed to ignite the fuel.  Look at the compression.  If it is not
a glow plug engine judicious use of ether might get it started.