[AT] Ford Diesel in AC machine

JParks jkparks at flash.net
Sat Sep 11 05:37:50 PDT 2004

I've recently acquired a little  AC 540 wheel loader equipped w/ a 4 cyl
Ford diesel engine, model 174.  It has the injectors mounted under the
rocker arm cover  (apparently, I'm told, there was another style that had
external injectors)  We just got the machine in and tinkered with it a bit,
but have not been able to get it to fire and run.

We are getting fuel to all the injectors (but what they do with it is
unknown!) and getting some smoke when cranking.  Is there a way to test
compression on these engines!?

Thanks for any hints or suggestions.  Everything about the machine is pretty
clean and straight, and would be worth keeping together, but not if the
engine is worn out.  I am totally asea with a Ford!

John Parks
Boise ID