[Farmall] Hello

Bob Jacobs Carrowor at comcast.net
Fri Sep 10 08:58:07 PDT 2004

Hello Stan,

The dealership was in Pinconning, Mi.  20 miles north of Bay City.  I was
hatched in 1951 and basically was brought up at the dealership.  My dad was
the owner and mom kept the books so most of the "free" time as a child was
spent running around the store/shop and pestering the mechanics.  I have
very fond memories of those days and learned much about basic mechanics and
some advanced things as I aged, from their mechanics.

My dad, upon purchasing the franchise in 1946, discovered a brand new little
LA gas engine in the attic.  Still in the crate.  I think that along with a
little engine his father had purchased really spurred his interest in them,
and over time, my interest.

From my first memories we always went to the, now called Wauseon, show.  The
National Threshers Association.  Dad had a very large interest in the old
steamers so it was a "must go" situation every year.  Over the years the one
show turned into many different shows, as is the norm when you've got the
bug".  About 1960 Dad bought a Nichols & Shepard steamer which needed a
little work.  This was my starting point of getting my hands (and
everything) greasy.  I remember mom griping about how dirty I'd get.  LOL.
I was the only one small enough and strong enough, to crawl into the firebox
of the engine and scrape rust, soot etc. out as we repaired the old girl.
Along with this, of course, I was pestering the mechanics all the time with
questions and fortunately, for me, they were very patient and explained
things at great length.  Even to the point of how to do valve jobs, proper
degrees of angle and all that.

Dad closed the dealership in 1966.  I, as free labor, was "privileged" to
help close out the store.  I helped to count, pack and ship parts returned
to IHC and to help stow the items away he was keeping.

In the course of his dealership,  Dad got to know all the old farmers for a
hundred miles around the store.  He knew where every steamer or gas engine
was, what condition they were in etc.  Many's the time he'd haul me out
somewhere to scavenge parts or pick an engine up he'd purchased or just to
fraternize with the farmers.  Fond memories abound about these "outings".
Of course mother thought we were out on "business" trips for the store and
we never let her know any different.

I was a youngster in the 50's as the steam loco's were phased out of
existence.  We didn't live all that far away from Michigan's largest
railyards in Durand, so many trips were made there during the scraping of
the ole' engines and many souvenirs were accumulated during those outings.
My granddad worked for the New York Central so we really had great access to
the yards.

Of course,  with this type of background there are many fond stories of all
this.  From a mechanic setting the timing wrong on an F-12 which broke his
arm trying to start it (days before the tapered kick out handle) and this
same mechanic breaking his other arm the next day in showing dad how it
happened.

Anyhow, as I was gowning up I helped to scrap out everything from threshing
machines, to Mogul tractors and more.  Sure wish we'd had the foresight to
just store some of those old girls.

Dad was a great collector/saver of literature.  Upon closing out the store
much of the advertising literature and ad slick were boxed and stowed way in
our home and garage,  so much so that we put up a new garage to hold the
engines and much of the literature.  And as time passed he/we collected even
more old iron.  Dad left us 16 years ago and Mom has sold many of the
engines off during these years.  I just managed to get my favorites from her
this summer and have been busily working on them getting them running.  Her
house still houses a great hoard of parts manuals and shop manuals which she
is planning on selling in the Spring.  She has a company coming in to sort
and prepare everything for this sale and the same company will be handling
all the details of the sale.

It looks like it'll be a four day event.  There's so much literature and she
collected dishes, dolls, furniture and other household items all her life,
that it's going to take awhile to liquidate it all.

Bob
Some people call me Sweet Ole' Bob,
others just use the initials!