[Steam-engine] Roen Sale

Dan Donaldson ddonaldson at tampatank.com
Fri Sep 10 07:40:54 PDT 2004

    My wife and I were at the sale and we were very surprised at the prices.
I don't agree with the remark that Peter had about "all" of the engines
needing "major" boiler work.  The 25 hp Gaar Scott with the universal boiler
was over .300" thick in the places I checked.  I was interested in that
engine until I saw how good the boiler was (the gearing was also in perfect
shape without any wear) and I figured it would sell high.  I didn't think it
would sell for $27,500 though.  It still has a lap seam barrel that will
restrict it to a pressure of 100 psi or lower.
    I was looking for an engine with good gearing and a boiler that was
shot.  I was also interested in the 25 hp Gaar Scott with the return flue
boiler.  It's boiler was rough and the gearing was in fair shape but it sold
for $12,500 which I thought was too high considering the cost of a new
boiler, trucking and restoration expenses.
    The Huber was very nice and seemed to be complete but I thought $9,500
was too much for that also.  I wasn't even considering the N & S or the
American Abel at the prices they brought.
    The Buffalo Pitts was bought by the grandchildren of the man that owned
and farmed with it before he sold it to Danny for $60 many years ago.
    My wife and I will continue our search for a traction engine with good
gearing and a boiler that needs to be replaced.  There must be some out
there at a reasonable prices.
    I have some pics if anyone is interested.

Dan Donaldson