[AJD] Newbie and JD 40 Question

wb5cys wb5cys at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 9 21:18:14 PDT 2004

Just wanted to say hello to the list.  Name is Cal and I am located in
northeast Texas.  I have a 110 acre farm that I raise cattle on as a hobby.
The farm was purchased by my grandfather in 1931.  In 1955 he purchased a
John Deere 40 brand new.  It has been on this farm ever since.  It has been
sitting unused for the last 4 years - prior to that it ran fine.  It had an
engine rebuild about 10 years ago.  It was used mainly for hay moving and
light pasture mowing.

I am now ready to restore the tractor.  I first need to get it running
again.  It turns over fine but doesn't fire.  I am sure I need to clean the
carburetor at the very least and it probably needs to be rebuilt.

Does anyone know of a good JD man in northeast Texas who might rebuild a
TSX-530 carb - and then handle future jobs that are too big for me as I work
through this restoration?

Thanks for any an all advice.  I look forward to learning a lot from y'all.

Cal Barton
Nacogdoches, Texas