Bargains was Re: [AT] OT-Problem with Cub Cadet 1641

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Thu Sep 9 19:59:25 PDT 2004

Well, there are lots of things that can cause big carbon chunks, Carl,
but typically that hard flaky stuff is from burning oil.  It can happen
fairly quickly in a 2-cycle engine that is either running with too much
oil in the mix or with the WRONG oil for the engine.  Yes, there are
differences!  You DON'T want to run just any old 2-cycle oil in most
"modern" 2-cycle engines.  There were even obvious differences in
performance as far back as the 70's.  I used to get Lawn-Boy mowers in
the shop that were hard to start and wouldn't rev up to full rpm.  I
would turn them on their side, disassemble the muffler, and ream out the
exhaust ports with a big hairy screwdriver.  When it went back together,
they took off like a new engine.

Nowadays, it's string trimmers, chain saws, and hedge trimmers that I
see -- same problem, different solution.  If the muffler can be
disassembled, I do that and burn the carbon out of the screen with a
reducing flame on a torch.  If it can't be taken apart to get at the
screen, then you can essentially kiss the whole unit "goodbye."  Getting
a replacement muffler is usually financially prohibitive, and trying to
"burn out" the muffler either with heat or chemicals is a lost cause.

Two-cycle mixtures are not something to mess around with.  Don't even
think about filing a warranty claim on a 2-cycle engine if you haven't
followed the manufacturer's recommendations on brand of oil and mixture.
Some manufacturers are doing chemical analysis on the residue left in
the engine before they allow repairs or replacement.

End soapbox mode.

Let the flames begin.

Larry