[AJD] R Stuck in Fifth Gear

Duane Ledford dledford at classicnet.net
Thu Sep 9 19:33:54 PDT 2004

Well folks, I did the deed and am now a proud owner of an R. Came here
today, and of course I had to play around with it. Got the pony all tuned up
where it starts and runs like a champ. Drove around the front yard checking
out all the gears, and just generally playing with my new toy. Decided to go
the half mile to show it off to my Dad. No problems, all went well. Came
home, parked the tractor with it still running, out of gear, to open the
shop to put her to bed. Son wanted to drive it up and down the drive one
more time. Of course, he had to go in road gear. Stopped to turn around, and
the shifter would not move toward the dash to get into reverse, or any other
gear. I believe that the second speed/reverse shifter must be out of
alignment and not allowing the gear shift to move past. It will go forward
in fifth gear just fine, and when put in the neutral position, it is out of
gear, just won't slide on up. Do I need to take the transmission cover off
and put everything right, or can I get to it from the shifter shaft cover on
the left hand side? Or is there a way to loosen/remove the cast metal piece
that guides the gearshift to allow for for some wiggle room to snag the
second gear/reverse shifter?

Thanks,

Duane