[AT] OT BMEP - Ether -for George Part 1

badams at alcor.astro.indiana.edu badams at alcor.astro.indiana.edu
Thu Sep 9 09:48:01 PDT 2004

  While I was innocently engaged in the production of shim stock at
Portland George Willer asked , "What is the BMEP of Ether?" I vaguely
remembered from a former life some tables with BMEP figures for
different grades of aviation gasoline so I stifled my first response of
"Wrong units" and told George I'd see what I could find.
I found:

1.Brake Mean Effective Pressure (BMEP)
    The work accomplished during one engine cycle divided by the engine
    swept volume. It is essentially the engine torque normalized by the
    engine displacement. The word ^Óbrake^Ô denotes the actual
    torque/power available at the engine flywheel as measured on a
    dynamometer. Thus, BMEP is a measure of the useful power output of
    the engine

2.ASTM test procedures for aviation fuels use BMEP extensively for
expressing operational characteristics.

3.BMEP is misused to express instantaneous cylinder pressure.

4. Some fascinating work is being done on diesel engines fueled with
dimethyl ether:

http://www.portalenergy.com/balpyo/ectw16/08.pdf
http://www.mhi.co.jp/tech/pdf/e406/e406348.pdf

I did not find a BMEP figure for dimethyl ether.
See part 2 for "the rest of the story".

Brice