[AT] Big Huber Weekend / paint (Xpost)

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 8 11:23:58 PDT 2004

The Huber 16 restoration took a major leap forward this weekend.  Dad was
able to borrow a compressor and sand blasting outfit from his construction
site.  We picked it up Friday afternoon and spent a big part of the weekend
blasting 99yrs of old off of the Huber.  1700 lbs of (black beauty) sand
later the engine and its parts are much cleaner than they were before.  I
have given all of the blasted parts a coat of primer.  It is probably a good
idea to go ahead and paint most of what has been cleaned.  What should I use
for paint?  I especially need something good for the boiler.  Does
automotive paint take the heat OK?  Parts of the cylinder should get pretty
hot as well. I am considering using an automotive urethane finish.  I'll try
to post some pics soon.  I want your opinions and please tell me what has
worked good for you.

Andy Glines
Evansville, IN