[Steam-engine] Big Huber Weekend / paint

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 8 08:56:42 PDT 2004

The Huber 16 restoration took a major leap forward
this weekend.  Dad was able to borrow a compressor and
sand blasting outfit from his construction site.  We
picked it up Friday afternoon and spent a big part of
the weekend blasting 99yrs of old off of the Huber.
1700 lbs of (black beauty) sand later the engine and
its parts are much cleaner than they were before.  I
have given all of the blasted parts a coat of primer.
It is probably a good idea to go ahead and paint most
of what has been cleaned.  What should I use for
paint?  I especially need something good for the
boiler.  Does automotive paint take the heat OK?
Parts of the cylinder should get pretty hot as well.
I am considering using an automotive urethane finish.
I'll try to post some pics soon.  I want your opinions
and please tell me what has worked good for you.

=====
Andy Glines
Evansville, IN