[AT] JD 630 starter problems

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Tue Sep 7 07:41:26 PDT 2004

I used to work in a starter/generator repair shop, we would see welded end
housings once in a while and some worked fine, most did not.  We didn't do
it ourselves, if the job isn't done very accurately the armature will be out
of alignment and will drag on the pole shoes.  But back then end housings
were pretty reasonable and usually in stock.

You may get a better price from an auto-electric shop instead of John Deere.
At least it worked that way 35 years ago.

No harm in trying to weld it, I guess.

Check your ignition, the reason it broke is that the engine kicked.  It'll
break again if this isn't fixed.

B²
Bill Brueck (brick)
Chatfield, Minnesota USA

Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.