[AT] JD Mag - It ain't very hot

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Tue Sep 7 05:10:43 PDT 2004

I forget by now where this thread started, but unless you're working on a
model H you should be able to do this on the tractor.   But you may be the
first one to have attempted this.

Know that the mag comes off with just 2 bolts and there is no timing
required to put it back on.  Just put it on with the coupling inserted in
the slots.  When you're done you have 50/50 chance of getting the engine
timed right.  If you have it wrong, just switch the 2 wires around at the
mag and you're all set.

Working on this on the bench is much easier.  And you don't have the awkward
business of cranking the tractor to test it.  Just hold it in your vise with
the bottom part of the flange, coupling facing you, and turn the mag past
the impulse with a pair of pliers.

B²
Bill Brueck (brick)
Chatfield, Minnesota USA

Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.