[AT] OT-Problem with Cub Cadet 1641

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Sep 6 19:44:28 PDT 2004

Mike, as an early step in troubleshooting, I would use a heavy jumper
wire and short out the starter solenoid terminals directly.  That will
bypass the ignition switch and all the safety switches and let you know
if the battery is at fault (which I would suspect.)  If the engine
cranks with the solenoid bypassed, then use the jumper wire to energize
the solenoid itself.  That will test whether the big contacts inside the
solenoid are working properly.  Since you get chatter when you turn the
key, I would guess that the ignition switch and all the interlock
switches are OK.  BTW- there's no need to turn on the ignition switch
for either of these tests, that way you are less likely to get hurt
because the engine will not run even though it cranks.

I can't remember exactly which battery the 1641 uses, but I think it's
one of the lawn & garden size rather than an automotive size.  They can
show a full charge but not be able to crank an engine.

Larry