[Ford-ferguson] Re: No start 2N

Mike Sloane msloane at att.net
Mon Sep 6 15:34:17 PDT 2004

Follow up: I do have a spark, but it isn't strong. I checked the voltage
at the coil, and it is only about 2.5 volts. And it is only about 3
volts at the resistor on the instrument. It appears that I have high
resistance between the battery and the block, so I am going to remove
the ground strap and clean everything up. Does anyone have a value for
what the resister (a brand new one) should be? I will be away the rest
of the week, so the tractor is sitting with a couple of ounces of MMO in
each cylinder and the plugs finger tight (to keep out any moisture and
critters).

Mike

Chris Britton wrote:

>>From: Mike Sloane <msloane at att.net>
>>Subject: [Ford-ferguson] No start 2N
>>I restored a '46 2N a couple of years ago, got it running, and then
>>parked it in my neighbor's barn. Now that I am retired, I thought I
>

> Might havereal low compression from letting it set.Sticky valves too.  Put
> some marvel mystery oil down each cylinder hole and let it set a day.. then
> spin it over to clear the oil.  Might also check all your electrical
> connections.. including where the ground brad hits the frame.  Check key
> switch and resistor connections.  Might even gently stretch that little
> springy coil on the bottom of the coil.  Also.. I'll assume you re-gapped
> your points to .015 after you filed them.
>
> gap the plugs at .025, and use copper core wires.  After you spin the mmo
> around to make sure you don't get hydro lock on the head.. pop the plugs in,
> and hook the wires up.. cap should be marked.. but fire order is 1-2-4-3
> ccw.. use a bit of ether and see if you get any pops.  Slow starter is
> normal.. real slow starter may be a bad connection.  These 6v systems like
> big 1/0 battery cables.
>
> I just finished a 46 2n myself.
>
> good luck
>
> Soundguy

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
Email: (msloane at att.net)
Website: <http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Blog: <www.mikesloane.blogspot.com
Tractor images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>
Work: none - retired

Our elections are free, it's in the results where eventually we pay.
-Bill Stern, sports announcer (1907-1971)