[AJD] 8 Volt Batteries, now JD R

Duane Ledford dledford at classicnet.net
Mon Sep 6 08:03:49 PDT 2004

Greg and all,

Is there much to rebuilding these pony carbs? From what I understand, they
are basically a tube with some holes. What would display one "just needing a
crank seal?" We had both engines running for quite  a while, and there were
no obvious oil leaks. Tractor had been power washed, so I would think that
any major leaks would show quite readily. As you can tell, this is the first
diesel I have looked at with the intent to purchase. Would really love to
own one, but don't want to have to sell everything else I own in order to
rebuild the R. Like I said before, the pony did not belch blue smoke while
it was running like so many I have seen before. Ran good, fast and even when
it got fuel. Big motor sounded good, no blue smoke from it either. Good oil
pressure. No foreign noises. Tranny worked well in all gears. Appears to
have been well taken care of by the previous owner.
I think it is in good shape, but am a little nervous about the horror
stories that have been told about these old diesels. Any other words of
advice would be appreciated. Learning things the hard way on the gasser two
bangers was expensive enough, don't want to repeat the same mistakes on this
one.

Thanks,

Duane