[AJD] Late John Deere Model B Generator

Paul Ward psward at neo.rr.com
Fri Sep 3 19:13:22 PDT 2004

I am thoroughly confused and need help from the Late Model B generator
experts here on the list.

I have a '52 Model B  SN B310047 with a generator that has a "cut-out".  A
fuzzy picture of it can be seen at
http://home.neo.rr.com/bunker/P7310001.JPG

What is the difference between a  "cut-out" and a regulator, if any?  In
Spencer's first book on restoration he refers to them as one and the same?

In the B service manual, the regulator appears to be square in shape - not
rectangular like mine.  Why?

I have a copy of the electrical hook up from what I can only guess is
another manual I don't have  (It's not the service manual and I'm not sure
which manual it is.)  It's page 80-5-6.  On this page it shows three
terminals L, White, and F.  It looks like it has a wire to ground on the
generator too.  My "cut-out", regulator, or whatever it is only has two
terminals and from the wiring loom, there are only two wires.  Why the
difference?  In my photo, it appears that one terminal goes to ground, while
the "white" wire is connected to the terminal in the rear.  The other wire
from the loom goes to what I believe is the F terminal on the generator.

Should I have a three terminal regulator on this generator?

Perhaps I need a Model 50 wiring diagram for this B?

The ammeter is not showing negative or positive.  The generator was recently
serviced and the cutout/regulator was replaced with an new identical
cut-out/regulator.

I'm soooo confused!

Any ideas?  Am I a victim of a mid model parts change?

I appreciate your help!

Paul Ward
psward at neo.rr.com