[Steam-engine] Pinckneyville

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 14:16:49 PDT 2004

I went to the American Thresherman Association Show at
Pinckneyville, IL a couple of weeks ago and had a
fantastic time.  http://www.americanthresherman.com/
I also got to visit with list member Jeff Detwiler
while I was there.  I think that they had 8-9 engines
under steam.  I'm not sure about the number as it was
hard to count because they were always moving, that's
what made it a great show.  The steam folks are great
showmen and pretty darned nice to boot.  The engineers
never seemed to get annoyed at my endless questions
and even straightened me out on a few points.  I was
even treated to a wonderful supper by the Jansen
family (thanks again).  I got an education on what
really happens when a sight glass breaks.  The broken
glass produced a little more excitement than i had
imagined it would.  We also got to see a twist on the
spark show.  The Jansens loaded their 80 Case with
sawdust and instead of pulling a Baker fan they pulled
the tractor pull sled.  They put on quite a show.
Long after the folks in the crowd have forgotten the
tractors that pulled that night they will remember
that steam engine chugging down the track shooting out
burning sawdust.  Really neat show and I look forward
to going back next year.

=====
Andy Glines
Evansville, IN