[Steam-engine] Corliss

Todengine at aol.com Todengine at aol.com
Fri Oct 29 07:26:23 PDT 2004

There is a reciever underfloor between the two cylinders.  The reciever has
enough volume to hold the entire exhaust from the HP cylinder until the LP
cylinder valve opens to accept it. Obviously the pressure in the reciever
fluctuates as steam goes in and goes out.

Actualyl there isn't much variability in the timing.  The cutoff may vary,
but the valve events still occur at 90 degrees or 180 degrees.

On our engine with a 34" HP cylinder, the reciever starts out at 16" dia. at
the connection to the HP cylinder and steadily increases in diameter to 24" at
the connection to the 68" LP cylinder.  Upon starting our engine should it
stop on dead center on the HP side, a bypass steam valve allowed the operator to
run HP steam into the reciever and run the LP cylinder off HP steam until it
moved off dead center.

Rick Rowlands
Executive Director
Tod Steam Engine Historic Landmark
William Tod 34" x 68" x 60" Cross Compound Steam Engine
Youngstown, OH
www.todengine.org