[AJD] Upper water pipe on JD 60 succumbs to brute force

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sun Oct 31 22:30:36 PST 2004

AHA:

I have just learned that standard steel 2 1/2" pipe has an OD close to 2
7/8". This may not be as difficult as I thought it was going to be.

After 4 aborted tries I finally got the !@#$%^&* Upper Water Pipe out of the
two castings. The rust had built up a ridge on the inner side of each "O"
ring which created a real barrier to removal. The "O" rings were in
amazingly good shape. Things shouldn't be that hard to get apart!  :-)

The pipe OD is an uncommon size - 2 7/8".  I have found out so far that
exhaust pipe sizes are 2 3/4" and 3". Will spend some time calling around to
driveline and muffler shops early in the week to see if anyone has 2 7/8"
pipe. Else I will just have to pay the piper and pay JD's $57.00 price. I
wonder if JD deliberately used an uncommon pipe size?  :-)

I'm really glad I decided to remove this pipe rather than try to repair it.
The pipe was in bad shape. I could have got caught up in using bubble gum
and band aids on this thing indefinitely.

For those of you who have been down this road before. Did you use any gasket
sealer on the "O" rings when reassembling?  I could imagine a little
lubricant on the "O" rings would aid reassembly! I'm thinking of coating the
inside of the pipe with a paint undercoat of some sort to delay rusting and
then painting everything before I put it back on the tractor.  However, I
suspect one doesn't want paint on the outside of the pipe where the "O"
rings seal. Anyone who has experience with this procedure I sure would
appreciate suggestions.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door