[AJD] Lindeman Update

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sat Oct 30 17:41:33 PDT 2004

LeRoy:

>From some time in 1939 maybe early 1940 models to mid 1947, the A could be
purchased as a hand start or with electric start only, lights only, or with
electric start and electric lights. If any of the electric options were
selected the A then required a battery which required a battery box at the
dash end of the hood. This caused the dash to be pushed toward the operator
and then the slanted cast dash panel was used. Slant Dash A's are fairly
common, partially due to the fact they were made for so many years and as
far as I know JD did not keep records of which serial numbers left the
factory with the electrical options. It is not clear exactly when JD started
offering the electrical options on the A. I believe Duane has a complete
file of reference material that shows the Slant Dash B started production in
about the mid model year of the 1939 B's. April of 1939 as I recall. The A
Slant dash may be similar.

And yes, JD did offer an upgrade kit for hand start models to convert to the
electrical options.  God only knows how many hand start A's & B's got
converted over time. In my experience the 6V setup on the A's was very
marginal, especially in cold weather. I don't remember when 12V batteries
became economically/physically feasible but I'm sure many got converted to
12V over time. I know I have on my early 1947 Slant Dash AN. Makes a big
difference.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door