[AT] Nice 40's or 50's truck to haul tractors

John Boehm rustyacres at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 30 06:32:07 PDT 2004

I've been there and done that. I used to haul tractors
on a 1966 Chevy C60 with a 19 foot bed including the
beavertail. In order to haul two or three tractors, I
would hook up a car hauler trailer bhind it. Here is
the reality check: California vehicle registration
fees based on weight rating of around $600 per year,
plus insurance of another $800 in addition to the
pickup that I need for everyday use anyway, and fuel
economy of 5 miles per gallon burning gasoline. Sure
the new pickups nowadays are around $40k, but I need a
pickup anyway (see previous sentence). My 96 Dodge
Diesel pulls my three axle gooseneck with a 20 foot
bed plus 6 foot beavertail with three tractors on it
at 14-15 mpg. My trailer registration fee is $20 every
five years and I'm not paying insurance on an extra
vehicle. I like going on a tractor road trip in
comfort and like having a reliably newer vehicle when
I'm that far from home. I was so happy seeing the new
owner drive that old Chevy down the driveway. I like
old tractors and old trucks are nice to look at, but
I'll take my setup anyday.

John Boehm
Woodland, CA
Visit my web site at http://vintagetractors.com