[AT] Nice 40's or 50's truck to haul tractors

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Fri Oct 29 21:10:43 PDT 2004

Are you crazy? No, absolutely not. There are many people using 40's and 50's
trucks for hauling and going to shows. Now for the reality check. First,
they are more work to drive than the new $50,000 pickup that some people
use. They are noisier inside. And if they have vacuum wipers, forget about
driving them comfortably in the rain.
    But they are REAL trucks! And it is fun to use them in moderation.
Getting a Studebaker, Ford, GMC or Chevy makes it reasonable to get parts
and the Studebakers and Fords are nearly indestructible. My experience with
40's GM and Dodge products is that they work ok until they are overloaded
excessively, then they break. Studebakers, Internationals and Fords are easy
to deal with but parts for Internationals are nearly non-existent for the
front end and steering.
    Try to get a 1.5 or 2 ton truck, with a brownie or two speed rear end.
And remember they are not designed for 65mph operation. Have fun!
        Grant Brians
        Hollister CA

p.s. Cosmetic issues on the trucks are the biggest problems you run into if
the truck was not totally abused. Rust is the thing to look out for.