[AT] Electrical question

pga2 at hot1.net pga2 at hot1.net
Fri Oct 29 06:11:38 PDT 2004

my immediate response would've been "What needs to be done to simply
replace a bad battery"? This is really a dumb statement by a service
person that doesen't have the proper electronics background. Most
likely he was told in a training session somewhere that any "static
electricity spark" can blow the computer. This usually refers to
handling the actual circuit card while it is completely disconnected
from the vehicle. Otherwise, the sparks from simply turning on the
ignition (yeah, I know it's a Diesel but I don't know what else to
call it) switch would blow the computer, not to mention the sparks
from the starter brushes. Sounds like the same service writer that
told me "Champions don't work in a Ford".

Phil