[AT] Electrical question/new twist

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Fri Oct 29 05:00:20 PDT 2004

Walt's comment below made me think of a trick sometimes used on boats that
might come in handy for someone but probably not on a tractor or tow truck.
Boats often have lots of expensive electronics.  Given the problems with
keeping good quality grounds in salt water environments it is not unusual
for battery current going to the starter to start looking around for better
ground paths.  Since all of the grounds on a boat are typically attached to
a single ground buss this sometimes results in a current backfeed through a
Loran, GPS, Radar or some other expensive piece of equipment.  The equipment
doesn't like this too much and sometimes doesn't survive.

The answer is to put a fuse in the ground wire of the instrument between the
instrument and the primary ground buss.  The fuse should be big enough to
handle the ground requirements of the instrument plus a safety factor but
small enough to pop if there is a back feed.

Read it somewhere in a boat book.  Thought it might help someone.

Charlie