[AT] Reading ohms on a digital VOM

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Fri Oct 29 00:04:05 PDT 2004

Walt,

The digital Fluke meter I have does not provide any mechanism for zeroing
out the resistance (ohm) scale.  However, as I believe someone said in a
post earlier today, for really low resistance readings (like coils of 1 to 2
ohms) you probably will want to short the digital meter probes together just
like you would the probes on an analog meter.  However, instead of then
zeroing out the resistance meter reading like you would with the analog ohm
meter you merely "remember" this digital ohm meter reading and then subtract
(algebraically) this "offset value" from any resistance measurements that
you then make.  Maybe there are digital meters that do have a mechanism for
zeroing out the resistance scale.  If so I'd like to have one of them.  It's
asking a lot for me to have to remember this offset value - I often have
trouble remembering why I even have the meter in my hands.

Dudley -
Snohomish, Washington