[Steam-engine] Long staybolts

Terry Welch ksw001 at pensys.com
Thu Oct 28 04:00:56 PDT 2004

I was there when they did the stays in the side of our locomotive.The
stay bolts were about 4 or 5 inchs long. They were tapped on each end
and had a open section in the middle. The tap that was used was about a
foot long. They had to be tapped so that the threads lined up on both
sheets. A lot of work. Many weekends to get it done.
Terry Welch