[Steam-engine] Grates

mark mark at ironacres.com
Wed Oct 27 15:52:52 PDT 2004

Many engineers around here, including myself, use pipe or tube grates.
It's common to take old boiler tubes, smash the ends down with a sledge,
then tack weld the ends together, usually in pairs. This makes nice air
holes in the grates. It's a quick and very cost effective way to get
grates in an engine. Don't be affraid to burn coal, we burn both wood
and hot coal fires without problem. I've had the same set of tubegrates
in my engine for 4 years now with no problems. It's true they wont' last
the long (20-50 years) time cast grates will but they dont' cost nearly as
much either.

Mark