[AT] Finally done

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Wed Oct 27 14:13:47 PDT 2004

Gil is exactly right on his technique, however, on big square fields we
always layed out a square in the middle of the field by doing just what Gil
describes below but not plowing all the way out to either end of the field.
The idea was to make a square ( or rectangle or other shape for that matter)
in the middle of the field that was the same shape as the entire field but
much smaller.   Once that was done we would plow along one edge until we got
to the end, lift the plow, stand on the left brake and make a 270 deg turn
and plow a furrow on the intersecting edge of the field so that it turned
dirt back against the plowed ends and left a furrow accross the end.
Actually we were making a 90 deg turn to the right but instead of having to
back up and get straight we just turned out to the left and went all the way
around 270 deg. and lined up with the end.   Once that was done at both ends
you wound up with a furrow along all sides.  Then it was a simple matter to
just go round and round, turning at the corners.  In fact if you worked at
it in a big field you could wind up plowing in a circle after a while and
never have to raise the plow.

If you come over to this part of the country and buy 50's vintage 1 and 2
row tractors you will find that the left brake is worn out but the right one
works fine.   Now you know why.

Charlie