[Steam-engine] Long staybolts

Dan Donaldson ddonaldson at tampatank.com
Wed Oct 27 09:07:36 PDT 2004

    My undertanding is that long thru stays are rods with the thread rolled
at the ends only instead of cut.  The rod is a little smaller in diamater
that the threaded ends when rolling theads.  That way one end can be
threaded in to one sheet past the couple of inches of thread then slid thru
to the other sheet.  Then turned so both ends thread into the sheet on each
end.
    A lot of boiler makers are welding the long thru stays instead of
threading them as well.

Dan Donaldson