[AJD] Rust scales in block - Help???

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Tue Oct 26 09:40:39 PDT 2004

Phil:

Yup, thanks to suggestions from others as well, a magnet works quite well. I
didn't realize how much ferrous metal is in rust scale. I had a telescoping
handle magnet and was able to pull a bunch of crud out of the passages I
could get to. Amazing amount of crud.

Flushing with a high pressure water nozzle and back flushing with a hose up
through the drain plug hole seems to have gotten the rest. I've never seen
such a dirty cooling system before. The PO must have used special fluids to
cause it!  :-) My guess is they didn't use antifreeze that had rust
inhibitors in it. Good thing we don't get much hot weather around here. Some
of the radiator cores have to be plugged. Going to add an additive in this
system when I get it all back together. There must be something on the
market that will dissolve what ever is left in there.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com