[AT] question on use of resistor on coil

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Mon Oct 25 19:51:16 PDT 2004

Cecil/Dudley:

The normal voltage of a fully charged 12V battery is higher then 12V,
something like 12.5 to 13 Volts. Then when under load it will pull down to
12V or less depending on the load and the battery's internal resistance. The
battery tester that Harbor Freight has on sale puts a temporary 50 amp load
on a 12V battery and measures how much the voltage drops. A sick battery
with high internal resistance will drop too much under load

The change in voltage at the battery, when running the starter, is why the
voltage at the connection between the resistor and the coil drops under
load. One has to assume that the points are closed when doing this
measurement or it will read the same as the battery voltage because no
current is being drawn in the battery, coil, resistor circuit.

If the coil dc resistance is 1.6 ohms and the resistor is 1.5 ohms and the
battery is at 12V. The reading at the connection between the resistor and
the coil will read (12V/3.1) X 1.6 = 6.2V. Then when the starter is used it
will drop proportionally with the battery voltage under the starter load.

Since the coil and the resistor are such low resistance, any substantive
resistance at the point contacts will mess things up dramatically. 0.9 ohm
of point contact resistance would reduce the voltage across the coil by
almost 25% resulting in a significant reduction in spark voltage. That is
why points when closed should measure 0 ohms.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com