[AT] RE: [AJD] Rust scales in block - Help???

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Mon Oct 25 19:07:50 PDT 2004

Ok, thanks for all the various suggestions. Here is what I tried. First I
drained the whole system and left the head drain plug out.  First draining
nothing much came out. Then I used a high pressure nozzle on a water hose
and directed it all cavities that I could detect. That knocked so much stuff
loose it plugged the drain. Cleaned that out and did it several times. Then
took a normal hose end and plugged it into the drain plug hole and forced
water backwards. That loosened up a bunch more. Repeated action seems to
have gotten most of it. God only knows if there is a large piece still in
there. The large pieces do seem to break up under water pressure.

Tomorrow I'm going to make a temporary plate for the block inlet and see if
I can use air pressure and/or water to force stuff backwards up through the
radiator cores.  I can reach up into and feel some of the top of the
radiator cores through the radiator pipe upper inlet that I have off. There
is/was all kinds of junk in the top radiator tank too. I suspect a few of
the cores have junk in them.

I have never seen a cooling system this scaled/rusted up before.  I wonder
if the PO never used antifreeze in this thing.

BTW: I did use a small magnet with a telescoping handle before I did
anything else. That picked up a bunch of the junk where ever I could get it
into. I didn't realize how much ferrous metal is contained in rust scale.

I think some more flushing and I will have most of the crap out of this
system. Will check with the local auto parts stores and see if they have any
additive that dissolves rust scale. Thanks again for all the help.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com