[Ford-ferguson] 2N overhaul help

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Oct 25 15:17:25 PDT 2004

I started on overhauling the engine on my 2N yesterday. To make a long
story short, the piston ring grooves are badly worn, and a couple of the
rings are broken, So I need new pistons. Then I measured the liners, and
they are tapered about .030 top to bottom with a pretty good ridge at
the top. So it looks like I need liners too.

So here is my question: the manuals I have tell me to remove the old
(steel) liners with something that looks like a muffler chisel - I think
I can do that with my air chisel. But then they say to use a special
arbor to install the new liners. I am used to IH liners that I can
install by just oiling them up well and giving them a smack with a 2
pound hammer on a block of wood. Apparently, if I do that to the Ford
liners there will be a good chance that I will "buckle" them and have to
start over. That isn't something I can afford to have happen.

So how has anyone installed liners in a 9N-2N engine without having
access to the special arbor (or any way I can see to make one)? When I
worked for the New Holland dealer, I could walk out into the shop and
ask the mechanics or even borrow special tools, but that is no longer an
option. :-(

While I am at it, before I tore the engine down, I had oil pressure that
started out OK but dropped to virtually nothing once the engine warmed
up. The bearings all appear to be fine, so I am guessing that the oil
pump needs to be rebuilt. And thoughts about that?

Thanks,

Mike
--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -Aldous Huxley,
novelist (1894-1963)